Thursday, June 6, 2013

Candy Striping

Monday I had a really unique opportunity as a  hospital Jr. Volunteer. I got to volunteer in Day Surgery, instead of working the floor. ( working the floor just means I attend to patients in rooms-bring flowers, newspapers, coffee,etc to them, and wheel 'em  out when it's time to go home.) I worked in surgery and surgery waiting. I was able to do this thanks to a super nice lady at church, who is over surgery volunteers.The hospital I volunteer at uses volunteers as a go between with patients patients and the patient's families. Our job is to keep the family informed on what's happening in surgery, where the patient will be, and when they can see him. We also make the families as comfortable as we can, which means we make coffee, give directions to the cafeteria, and assist them in any way possible. It's especially interesting for me, because I want to be a pediatric ENT or orthopedic surgeon, and many of the patients are children with ENT related problems.

  Both floor and surgery volunteers deliver medical charts to Med. Surge 1 &2, ICU, and IMC. This is always fun, because you see what's going on in all the different departments. Our hospital is fairly small, but it's big enough to get lost in, and part of my job is showing people where ambulatory care and radiology are. The cutest part of the job is definitely getting to present new babies with little baby food spoons that have the hospital name engraved on them. We had five babies last Tuesday, and I got to give them the little spoons. :) It's funny, but wherever I go in my candy striper uniform, people are like"Oh, my goodness! A candy striper! I haven't seen one of those in years!" I love being able to tell them about my experiences. Do any of y'all volunteer at interesting or unusual places? Then you should comment and tell me all about it!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Laura

    I love your blog, I have my own blog but this message is regarding it. How can I make my blog better, I would really like to know how you separate your blogs from each other.

    Do you understand what I mean? All of the blogs I have done are all underneath each other as I scroll down the page, how do you separate all of your pages from each other? I am adding you blog to the blogs I view regularly, I really love your blogs and the effort you put toward them is amazing. Keep up the good work.

    I am also a believer of Christ and I home-school! You can check my blog out.
    The link is below smilethroughlifesjourney.blogspot.com
    Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realised how are we meant to communicate with each other? Do you have an account with goodreads? I do and if you do we can email each other. Or Maybe you could leave a comment on my blog replying to my answer? Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura
    Thanks for your reply, will talk soon. So how do you do the separate blog thing?
    God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, to separate your posts it just depends on what you're viewing your blog with. If it's on an Iphone, an Ipad, a Kindle Fire HD, or anything like that, just scroll down too the very bottom and click view in web version. If you're viewing your blog on the computer and are STILL having trouble with your posts, you should probably check the layout page and see if rearranging your sidebar will fix it. Hope this helps!
      ~Laura Ashley

      Delete
  4. Hi
    Thanks very much for you help I will try it out to see if it works. And the comment you put on my blog page, that hasn't been published yet is because I am wondering if you don't want me to post it due to some of the info. Keep in touch.
    Tinyde

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't seem to find view in web version? And if I click on that will my viewers see all the pages separated or will they have to click on view web version? Sorry if I am asking to many questions, but keep up the good work on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. if you view it on a computer, it should look the way my blog does now. You wouldn't have to click anything. If you view it with a mobile device and you can't find "view in web version" then I;m not sure what to do!! Check page layout. Do you use blogger or wordpress? It might be different if you don't use blogger.

      Delete

Please be nice when you comment!