Monday, August 6, 2012

Freedom's Crossing

Meet Laura Eastman, a teenage girl who returns home from living with her aunt and uncle in the South only to find her little brother,Bert, and her father are running a station on the Underground Railroad. At first, Laura is angry. They're breaking the law! How could they help slaves escape their kind masters? Soon Laura  learns that most masters aren't as kind as her aunt and uncle were. She also learns Bert isn't just helping slaves-he's hiding them in the house.
    Laura is outraged. She threatens to go to the sheriff. But her whole view in slavery changes when she meets a runaway slave....
Enter Martin Page, a twelve year old fugitive slave who will risk anything to be free. He knows how to read, write, and bake, and he explains to Laura what life's like for slaves who don't have kind masters.
Still, Laura is unsure about this, until one day, she must either break the law to help Martin escape-or send him back to the plantation.

I loved this novel by Margaret Goff Clark. The author does an amazing job of writing from the viewpoints of a Southern girl and a fugitive slave. I really enjoyed the book. 5 stars!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Laura Ashley!

    Thanks for your comment on my blog! :D I love comment! I am a new follower of you. :) Nice blog! Also, that would be so cool if we live close! Also, are we near the same age? I am almost 11. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma! I'm 13 and I love ag dolls, reading, writing, acting, and baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura!!! COOL I just found another blogger who lives in Texas!!! YOU! I also live in Texas and I think it would be soooooo neat if we lived close wouldn't it!?! I am 14 and your 13! So we are pretty close in age! I am home-schooled as well! I think we might just live next to each other because of what you said on Emma's blog! I really like your blog and I will be keeping up with you for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment! I live in a town in Henderson County, East Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I live kinda close to you! Only two hours away!!! That's the closest I've ever found before! I follow you now! Maybe on day we can meet!!! That would be soooooo neat! Hey and I wanted to tell you, I am going to be having a giveaway at my blog once I get two more followers to make it 50. IF you want to enter it will give you extra entries if you were following me before I reached 50 if you know what I mean! :) I'm not trying to get you to but if you wanted to I wanted to let you know! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please be nice when you comment!