Saturday, June 22, 2013

Math, Doing Hard Things, & Life; A Random Post

Math.Where shall I begin? Math and I go way back, but we are not exactly friends. We don't really understand each other. ;D Okay, so maybe Math isn't a real person. But I think if we could meet face-to-face, we might get along a little better.
However, I've had a bad attitude about math. Declaring "I don't understand this!" and bursting into to tears isn't going to help me.  : ) We've been reading the book Do Hard Things, by homeschooled Christian teens, Alex and Brett Harris,  and it is an amazing book. The book explains that if you quit something just because it is hard, you're not living up to your God-given potential. People often focus on things that are easy - "I'm good at _______( insert skill here), but I just don't understand  _____ ....." -That's the wrong mentality, and it's one I've had about math. The world tells you to focus on your strengths, and that's a great idea, but what happens to the things you aren't so good at? You'll gradually get worse, and slowly even forget some skills. The cover of the book explains the purpose is to encourage "a teenage rebellion against low expectations." How many time have you heard  "You're just a teen." OR  You're homeschooled, you wouldn't understand what I mean."OR "This generation is going nowhere" ? Even worse, have you noticed people expect very low things from teens?  Have you ever heard: "You're so much better that the rest of the kids here,"? The book says:  if being better than those kids means you don't do all the bad stuff they do, are you really doing anything to be better? Alex and Brett explain "Be known for what you DO, not what you DON'T do."   To go to their blog click here.
I strongly suggest you read  Do Hard Things . It's changed the way I look at math, compliments, other people, and the world in general. And, even better, the book is filled with diverse real-life examples of teens 
( including homeschoolers too, which is nice) that have done hard things. And the examples aren't always elaborate.  It might be that someone simply got out of their comfort zone by calling a stranger on the phone, or it might be that a boy campaigned against human trafficking and spoke at the White House. It teaches small steps to big change. Well, that's my spill. Have you read this book? Did you enjoy it? Comment! :D

Good Night Everyone! Oh, and remember to:



2 comments:

  1. I am defiantly going to check this book out! And maths and I are also....arg...well.. not the best of friends! keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and also how do you follow peoples blogs, and also the blogs you follow, how can you show that on my profile? Sorry for asking you so many questions.

    ReplyDelete

Please be nice when you comment!