Monday, January 23, 2012

4-H County Food Show

On Saturday we went to the county Food Show. The 4-H Food Show is when 4-Her's from a certain county come together. Each person gets 2,5,or 7 minutes with a judge, depending on their age category. They have to answer 12 questions on their dish -how nutritious it is, how they help their community, how many calories are in it, etc. I made Shrimp Creole. My brother and I got 1st place in our categories, which means we go to district, which is a lot harder! My littlest brother did great,too, but he is a Clover Kid so he can't go to District. This is my third year in the Food Show and I love it! Every year I look forward to making a new dish.This year I made Shrimp Creole.....


Shrimp Creole
Roux:
5 tablespoons shortening
¼ cup flour
Cook over medium heat until caramel brown.
Creole:  
1 lb. peeled shrimp
1 onion
1 bunch green onions
¼ cup bell pepper
1 clove garlic
1 can 8 oz. tomato sauce
1 10 oz. can of Rotel® Tomatoes
1 tablespoon Worchester sauce
Melt shortening in a saucepan. Add the flour and stir till caramel brown. This is your roux. Next, mix the onion, green onions, bell pepper, garlic, tomato sauce, Rotel® Tomatoes and Worchester sauce together. Add shrimp and cook with roux. Serve over rice. A substitution you can make is using brown rice instead of white rice.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice when you comment!