Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Gaylord Texan

December 1, 2012
December 1, 1962





For my grandparent's 50th anniversary, we took them to the Gaylord Texan in Grapevine, Texas, which is an amazing resort filled with replicas of important Texan places.

 It's like a city inside one enormous building! There's a Spanish Mission, the Hill country, the famous Riverwalk-all recreated indoors!! The Riverwalk area is my fave:


This is the only picture I did not take. I found it on Google.

  
Then we went to the cool (get it? :) OK, I'll stop with the corny puns) ICE exhibit! Expert carvers from the ice festivals in China come and work the ice into amazing shapes. 
It was 9 degrees and freezing fun! You go in, and they tell you "Don't touch or lick(!) the ice, here's your parka!" And they give you a voluminous, bulky, aqua-blue parka that dozens of people before you have worn. Then the line moves in front of you, and suddenly all thoughts of the voluminous, bulky, aqua-blue parka are gone, and it's like stepping off a spaceship into a strange, cold, noisy, mysteriously beautiful world! The theme this year was Merry Madagascar,and I was super happy because, well, I love watching those movies. It was like walking through the movie, because they played the the sound as you went through...


There was an ICE SLIDE! It was short but very enjoyable and fast!


    




Then we went back through the warm resort and dressed for dinner. We ate at a place called Bob's Steak and Chop House. (It was delicious)Next, we walked around the hotel enjoying the decorations and looking at all the interesting things to see. The next day, we ate breakfast,played card games, went for walks around the hotel, and had fun. Then we went to bed so we could get up and leave the  next day! I had a good time, and I hope Grandmama and Granddaddy did,too!

2 comments:

  1. Cool! I have never gone to the ICE exhibit but my mom has and she and her friends loved it a couple of years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a-lot of fun Laura!!! Sorry I've been so bad with leaving comments! I've gotten really bad with everyone trust me! :) I awarded you at my blog by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please be nice when you comment!