Thursday, July 3, 2014

I'm Back!

Long time no post! I'm back from Step, yay! Step was a lot of fun, but it was definitely the hardest thing I've ever done - so far. I learned how to rappel and  to cross rivers, to canoe, and to do a gun takeaway, to organize a grid search and to bandage wounds. I also watched Follow Me Boys, the sweetest old movie ever made. Go watch it! We sang the songs on our marches.

 I also killed and plucked a chicken, stabilized a (fake)puncture wound in a woman's stomach, cleaned a massive machine called a tilt skillet while on KP duty, and learned how to make a bed so you can bounce a quarter off it, like they do in the old war movies. The below photo is not an example. XD
Much more to tell, but some of it's confidential  in case you go to STEP, so you'll be surprised.
                                                                                                   

My little bed in the dorm. Don't judge: I hadn't learned how to make it yet. :)
My friend Leah and I. Leah was so sweet to me! :)
  My absolute most favorite thing about STEP is the great encouragement you get in your spiritual walk. It was so cool to be around other like minded Christian girls, all with some of the same goals and ideas. I made a ton of great friends. Shoutouts to: Grace, Hannah, Bethany, Becca, Rachel 1, Rachel 2, Remi, Dee,Chon-Chon, Leah <3, Lydia aka brains, Marina, Tay, Neep, Clara, Randi, Mollie, and Angela, just to name a few.

The very first day at Step, I stood in the lobby of our dorm nervously. I'd unpacked, my family left, and I sat with the other first-years, glum and alone. Then this Advanced girl appears out of nowhere, clutching a Frisbee. "Do y'all play Ultimate Frisbee?" (Advanced means they've been here before and they're advanced in skills.)

  We shook our heads 'no'. "Well, I'm Grace, and you are my new proteges!" She taught us the game, we played for an hour, and I thought that was that. Advanced people were super busy, too busy for first years. But no!
She left sweet notes on my door every single day, prayed with us, and stopped to hug us whenever our paths crossed. I met so many sweet people, but Grace was the first!

Rachel 2 and I
My team scaling the bluffs.

Two other girls who were super sweet to me, especially during PT, were the amazingly cool Canadian twins Becca and Rachel Stewart. They walked with me on our hikes, ran with me at the 3K and were very encouraging. They, too, left me sweet notes,and were faithful members of ROS along with Leah, Mollie, Hannah and Bethany. (inside joke there. :)) Stay strong, ROS!! lol.
A final word to you blog readers - if you are a girl between the ages of 14-25, GO TO STEP! learn more about STEP here.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please be nice when you comment!